How to rate your day (optimists and pessimists both welcome)

It's so hard to rate how well my day went. Let's say you work with a scale going from 1 to 10, 1 being really bad, 10 being really good. The problem is, you can never really know just how bad a day can go. You may think you'll never hit a 1, or you may think you've hit it, but you might be proven wrong. And maybe one day you have a great day, and it scores a perfect 10. Well, what if it gets better? (Fortunately I'm a pessimist and don't worry too much about the high end of the scale.)

No, I think a better way to do this is to copy Mercalli's Damage scale for earthquakes. In the mercalli scale, you rate earthquakes not according to energy released, but according to damage and impact. So if your china falls off the wall, that's maybe a two, if you're uncle's house falls into a big crack, that's at least a 3 or 4 (okay actually like an 8), and then if absolutely everything falls apart, burns up, and then is covered in lava from multiple eruptions that's a ten. (And you never know, it could happen.)

But here is where we will have to make our big decisions: will we rate our day scale for how good it was or how bad it was? Some of you people are walking on sunshine and wearing rose-tinted glasses and all that, and I know you'll want to rate your day on just how good it was and how wonderfully you impacted the world or were impacted by it. So a 0 means you're in a coma and did nothing positive or negative, 1 means you brushed your teeth, 2 means you sent out a nice email, 3 means you had something great happen in your life (say a free new carpet), and let's skip to 7 in which the world is flooded with light and optimism from your incredible sunshiney life. Good for you, have a cookie.

But for the hardened cynic, you can rate your day on how much damage was inflicted or received. And it all depends on how you want to think about things. If you want to get depressed and forlorn just focus on damage you inflicted on the world. 10 is reserved for the antichrist (just any day of his I guess), 7 is murdering someone (and maybe murdering a LOT of people in one day puts that at like an 8), 4 is cutting someone off in traffic, and 1 is if you sent one of those stupid forwards into my email inbox. Oh, and if you cut someone off 10 times in one day, that's probably a 7 - you're a very bad person.

If you prefer feeling anger and spite, rate your day on how much damage you received. Ie, just how much did your day really suck? And probably we can turn this into some sort of competition to see who really had the worst day. (I'd love to see some emotional ventilational in the comments!) And you can really pick any scale just depending on how your feeling about your day. If your day was great, how great? If it sucked, how much?

This was anything but the serious entry I thought I was going to write (I never know what's going to come out), but hey we can't all be serious all the time.

PS - If you tell me about your day, I'll pick a scale and rate it! (So include good and bad.)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Holy Cow you think too much!!!

Okay...my "potential" day:

Woke up this morning and freaked out because my alarm didn't go off and I thought I might've missed work--but I didn't...it was only 7:00.

Work all day 'til 5:30. Have to talk to my mean and suspicious boss who will try to not pay me for all the work I do...but may somehow be able to get away with it because I am leaving in two weeks and am rather bad at arguing with bosses.

Run home and wash dishes and vacuum. Luke's 3 and 6 year old nieces are coming over and we are going to make snickerdoodles and have a tea-party with our dolls (I love having an excuse to be a kid!)I may put on a Veggie Tales movie.

Sarah Bryan (our cousin) is coming over (if she doesn't cancel like usual). I get to sort through all the lying crap (she likes to twist everything to victimize herself)and try to have a wholesome conversation with her and let her know I love her without making her feel bad because I have a nice apartment, nice job, nice future husband.

That's about it. I can't wait to play with the kids.

Pilgrim said...

Hmmm wow you had some bad stuff happen but on the Sunshine Scale I give you.. probably a 6! I mean luke, kids, Veggie Tales, and generally contributing positively to mankind, that's all pretty good.

On The Suckiness Scale you get maybe a 3, because mean and suspicious bosses are really a miserable thing (although common). 3 is probably average for most people.

On the I'm A Jerk Scalel you get a 1 for missing your alarm and then making excuses :P. (If you hadn't done that you would have been a zero. Unless you lost your cool with Sarah.)

There's probably a way of combining the three scales but I haven't figured it out yet.