Red Letters: Streetwise Spirituality


I never have anything worth saying. But Jesus does. In Luke 16 He tells a story about a manager who was crooked - he was stealing money; his boss found out and said, "You're fired." He realizes he's going to be stuck and needs to make some friends, so he quickly has all the people who owe his boss money pay back half their debts and gives them a clean slate...

"(v.8) Now here's a surprise: The master praised the crooked manager! And why? Because he knew how to look after himself. Streetwise people are smarter in this regard than law-abiding citizens. They are on constant alert, looking for angles, surviving by their wits. I want you to be smart in the same way - but for what is right -- using every adversity to stimulate you to creative survival, to concentrate your attention on the bare essentials, so you'll live, really live, and not complacently just get by on good behavior."

~The Message

I really can't add a lot off the top of my head, cuz this passage blows me away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

just being alive vs. really living.

the difference?

being alive: what you are - human
living for real: who you are - spiritually, and how you change because of it

*i've decided that i really like the message*

hey- did you take that picture? i like it.

~ciao

Elizabeth said...

yeah, matt has a MAJOR road ahead of him to healing...i'm sure it hasn't sunk in yet how long it will take. good job with preaching. i like the message, too. my friends here all think it is being used by satan to get us out of God's inerrant Word. well...whatever.

kczmrzr-the smerf that never made it on TV because he couldn't get his lines right.

Anonymous said...

Hey josh!


I like the picture too....alot!!!
Nice entry...I like it! TTYL

Will said...

It takes real do-ers in the world.

I looked up the reference in another translation and read this:

"The rich man had to emire the dishonest rascal for being so shrewd. And it is true that the citizens of this world are more shrewd than the godly are. I tell you, use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. in this way, your generosity stores up a reward for you in heaven."

I found it interesting that Jesus parallels the business man's actions (the "dishonest rascal" so aptly put) to an ideal for us: while we shouldn't do it out of selfish gain, it is important to utilize what God hss given us.

Perhaps that was redundant. In any case, it got me thinking again!

Cheers, -Will

Elizabeth said...

i liked your other bio picture. all my pictures of you are old. will you email me the one of you playing guitar? PLEASE?