FedEx: The First Week, and Toilet-Seat-Booms

Well, I've had five straight days unloading trailers at FedEx, and I gotta say, I'm pretty sore right now. Every day there is some kinda minor bruise. Today, unfortunately, I bruised the end of my right index finger (so there goes a couple days of classical guitar lessons). I get tomorrow and Monday to recuperate. Honestly I can't imagine holding a full time job together with this.

The worst thing about this job: rolling out of bed at 2:30 AM.

The best thing about this job: going back to bed at 7 AM and sleeping for five more hours.

It's remotely possible I could actually go to bed around 6:30 PM and just stay up after work, but that would be so out of sync with the human race and my nocturnal proclivities that I don't it's feasible. The only reason my wierd 3-hours plus 5-hours schedule works is because I'm able to keep some consistency in my sleeping habits.

It's been noted to me by my manager that I'll have more opportunities at FedEx in short order - better positions, greater hours (not that it's terribly difficult to beat ten hours a week). And the nice thing about FedEx is it's nationwide. If I needed to move, I'm sure I could land some sort of position at another FedEx. (I don't think I'm going to be in PA for forever.) But I need full time work, and I need it pretty darn quick here. If a full-time position is offered to me by another company (and that may happen in the next week or two), I'd have a hard time refusing, even if I had to say goodbye to FedEx (which would be too bad).

In other news, Taylor Camerer is starting the rumor that I don't actually close toilet seats. He claims I disattach the toilet seat, stand on the sink, and drop it from several feet up. This is quite false. I am able to create plenty of momentum with the toilet seat still attached to produce a sufficient toilet-seat-boom.

0 comments: