Colin Smiths Next Chapter

Dr. Colin Smith died yesterday - it's totally unexpected to everyone. For Colin Smith, and maybe for someone else who will be leaving this world soon:

"And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they
all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover
and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before." (the final words of CS Lewis' "The Last Battle")

Now I hope someone compiles a lot of Colin's recorded messages and lectures for us.

For awhile I thought Colin might be someone I would interact with once I reached a stage where I could do graduate studies, particularly if I pursued Semitic language studies at all. That won't happen now, but today feels like a wake up call for my life. I'm moving in the right direction, but I'm going to have to move a lot more if I'm going to redeem some of my short time on earth. Maybe I am going to be teaching Hebrew for a group of interested individuals soon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I just finished 1 year studying Hebrew under Dr. Smith. All I can say is "Wow". He was one of those few individuals I've encountered who could pursue the intellectual and still be passionate about the Word. I'll never be the same...

Monte

Sara said...

Yes, Carl and i were deeply sadden by his loss but as you said he his building a whole other chapter.

We will miss him greatly...

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I was Dr. Smith's roommate at Houghton College. He was, even then, driven by a desire to serve with excellence. I can think of no more fitting role model for you as you seek and pursue your passion.

James Woody