Led Zeppelin catalogue, musical growth

today at share.com (which is actually http://u2n2.com/Default.asp?) I stumbled upon the entire Led Zeppelin catalogue. I have all their official albums as a band except for Coda, which isn't supposed to be that great anyway; I'm only missing the BBC sessions and "How the West was Won", the live album. I'm not that big of a Led Zeppelin fan, but I am a huge fan of really old-time blues like Robert Johnson and Blind Willie Johnson. Led Zep became the archetype of good rock and roll (for good reason), but they got all their inspiration from old blues recordings which I like to listen to as well. Same for White Stripes by the way. Anyway, a lot of the music is great stuff for what it is; so far a couple favorites are Moby Dick from Led Zep II (I own that record!), and the Battle of Evermore. I haven't got it into my head to learn any Led Zep songs on guitar, because it really isn't my style, but it's pretty good. I have a pretty extensive classic rock catalogue, I'd like to find more of the really good old stuff, which probably means i'll have to buy it over time.

Other than that I'm digging into a lot of fusion and jazz guitarists and bands, Allan Holdsworth especially.

0 comments: