Drift-Off

Drift-off dreams can be really annoying. I can't call them strange, because most dreams are strange. But drift-off dreams are strangest because they are closest to reality.

Yesterday I went canoing for several hours. After that, I watched (and occassionally played) Resident Evil 4 for several hours. I was too tired to do anything productive. I went to bed early (10), and started falling asleep. Then the drift-dreams began. It happens like this: you lie there with your eyes mostly closed. Sometimes they are open and look around a little, but half the time you don't even know they are open. Your thoughts become incoherent and end up in odd combinations. Suddenly my thoughts about tomorrows lessons disappear, and I'm canoing down a river. Suddenly a car revs its engine outside the window, and my mind returns to reality. I just thought I was canoing. How weird is that? One second I'm lying in bed, the next my mind tells me I'm in a canoe.

It gets better. You know what's coming. Zombie hunting on a canoe. That's right, canoeing down the Moose River, paddle in one hand, shotgun in the other, blowing the heads off of less-than-courteous zombie fiends. (They had it coming.) And occassionally an idea from a book will insert itself onto the drift-dream. Die, die, evil zombie hey I should talk about heaven in Sunday School tomorrow!

Other interesting drift-dreams: skateboarding, feeding frozen burger patties into the burger king broiler, grinding brick walls, playing soccer, playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time. If something really intense (or monotonous) happened during the day, chances are that I will see it again as I drift to sleep.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have more waking up dreams...rarely drifting off ones. i don't really like dreaming very much...i always feel like i didn't get sleep (even though i was asleep).

Micah said...

I think hunting zombies in a little lake sounds like one of the most fun things to ever be done...

Anonymous said...

ah Resident evil 4, the blessed chainsaw *cringes* good game..and you have really random "drift-offs"

alydia

Sara said...

that is humerous..i laughed out loud..which is always a little embaressing especially when others are in the room.