The straight dope on being deaf.


The other day, after a long hike with Nate Weaver resulting in a lot of extra photos, I was about to go into my dorm when I stopped to take one more picture. We have a student on campus who used to be completely deaf. He got some sort of implant which allows him to hear a little bit, and he can talk, but I always feel awkward because I have a hard time understanding (partly because I'm hard of hearing in one ear). But when he saw me taking a picture of this, he thought it was cool and said it looked like a feather. Right before I went to post this photo, my newsreader gave me this article on what language a deaf person thinks in; so I guess it's God's way of saying that everyone needs to read it and expand their understanding of deaf persons.

It's possible this will be my last post before spending a week hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. (It's supposed to rain all week. Yeehaw.)

4 comments:

Will said...

That article reminded me of those who learn things in Braille. How do they dream? Hm.

Good luck on the hike! We have 4-5 more weeks...

Sara said...

keep up the good work Josh, you're doing well, stand strong..I enjoy reading your blog from time to time.

Elizabeth said...

hmmm...i'd say you must really be working your butt off. even though i'm dying to see a new post and some new pics...i'm proud of you for being so diligent!

Micah said...

yeah josh......the AT was freaking awesome