words

It's time to shut up.

I've been reading some blogs (myspace, xanga, blogger) of old college friends and acquaintances. Many indicate growth, talk up their faith as if they've finally made it. And in a sense, they have. They are starting to have faith and joy, kinda like me. And I think it's totally real, and it's cool. But here is the thing: the world doesn't take our words seriously. (Incidentally I probably won't either.)

We are in an age of quick fixes. Quick-fix diets and microwaves and feel-good spiritual fads. I've seen people say almost the same thing my Christian brothers say on their blogs in non-Christian terms: "I've grown, experienced great change for the better, come closer to achieving that positive spiritual aura I've always wanted! After _____ happened my life was better!" Do you think that someone reading your blog or hearing your words is really going to believe you've discovered something exceptional? They hear this all the time!

And the thing is, we're telling the truth. We really have seen God's faithfulness. But in this age of blogs and email and talk-shows and more words flowing through this worldwide mass of cables than we can process, words aren't going to be taken that seriously. At least not my words. Not your words. Because we're young. We haven't had to prove our words with our lives.

Maybe you have changed, grown, are experiencing spiritual renewal. I've experienced some of that too. But the world doesn't care. Anyone can have a spiritual experience. Anyone can achieve a quick fix. Anyone can love unlovables - for a few days. Anyone can love their spouse while they're young and beautiful. Does anyone have anything to brag about?

Paul bragged about scars on his body, the result of years of serving and suffering for Christ. Paul had something to talk about. My grandparents spent their lives passionately serving the church. I listen to what they have to say. But I haven't suffered. There are only a few people my age (I think of two) who I am willing to say have had to suffer for their faith.

Christians who have learned what it means to serve and suffer through a lifetime of following Christ are exempt from my advice: temper your blogs and speech with a few years of servanthood. After you've been under the beating hot sun of life for a few years, when you have discovered that following God means seasons of tedium, dryness, loneliness, raising an ungrateful family, loving an annoying and flawed spouse, and that your suffering won't be glorious but obscure and unnoticed, when you come out on the other side of all that and say, "I've been through it and I've tasted living water!":

When you do that, and then say that, you can say anything you want to, and I'll listen. In a blog, on the phone, behind a pulpit, whatever, I'll pay attention.

But for now, it's better not to take ourselves too seriously. Let's be listeners. Let's "preach Christ always, and only use words when absolutely necessary" (Francis of Assissi). My friend Ric Eimers worked for a year in sales before mentioning Christ; after that first year, he couldn't get through a week, and then couldn't get through a day, without people wanting to talk to him because he was so different. He never had to bring it up. Do I like to talk so much because I don't think my life has much of a testimony, without a cloud of words to back it up?

6 comments:

deepin125 said...

i totally get what you are saying...people are all talk and what not...but this is pretty pessimistic view too. I mean i know that we cant expect people to do as they say, but we sure can pray and hope that its the truth, and maybe even hold them accountable to that truth they have found. No one likes being called a hypocrit, and as friends we need to remind them of their convictions. Sure people will forget what they say, it isnt part of there habits yet to do that thing they just posted on there blog, but it is there conviction! So as long as they reminded of this they will surely come back to it. It can take a little over a month to make something into a habit, and take as short as one day to break that habit(depending on the circumstances), and i guess the devil will trip us up to. We all need to be careful with what we say, because our word must always stand firm.

So encourage your brothers on there journey towards there realizations of how they have "finally made it", that they are getting there! Don't see it as an annoyance, but as a realization that there true journey towards proving it is just begining. Instead of being skeptical, rejoice that they have seen there faults and want to change. Don't be angry when they mess up, be quick to remind and reiterate the truth to them. We must be careful to not judge others hearts, for only our Father in Heaven can judge us with correct precision.

me

felicia said...

you know i always hear stories of people getting asked questions about their faith because they're different, but i still don't quite get it..none of my christian friends (or me) really stick out as being different (for their faith) at first sight at least.

and your completely right...actions speak louder than words, especially with so much hypocrisy, people aren't always expected to live up to what they say

Sara said...

unbelievers know someones different by how they act not by what they look like...or even say at times.

Well said Joshua

Will said...

Thank you for the reminder :) Cheers,- Will

Micah said...

i hate to sound trite or repetitive here, but the only thing that and unbeliever is going to notice different about their experience and mine is that hopefully my relationship with that person and with everyone around me will be centered in continuous unfailing love...

Pilgrim said...

Geez Micah, why do you gotta be trite and repetitive? Just kidding - thanks for the response everybody!