Dangerous weekend naps

Gee, I always manage to fall for the good old super-bad really long weekend nap. This is the sort of nap where I sleep way too long, and wake up feeling like I might have been abducted by aliens for a week (of course they keep you anaesthetized and unconscious and so far I haven't found any signs of surgery); usually the only result is losing a few hours and feeling really groggy. The worst punishment comes at night when trying to fall asleep.

Last night, for example. For once, Eric Whitacre's choral track on sleep did not immediately lull me to sleep. Not even on REPEAT! So I grabbed my guitar and began playing it right there in bed for at least an hour. I contemplated sleeping with the guitar, just sort of playing scales up and down the fret until I fell asleep, but that could have led to me shoving it off the bed during the night. So I put it to sleep on its stand and visualized scales and notes up and down the frets. That seemed to do the trick.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

lol

someone out here offered to help me learn a little bit on the guitar...but i don't know...i'm not on a real bright learning streak right now

Will said...

I often tap out some piano melodies in the air (or, to the chagrin of those sitting near me) on the desk.

Does that count as practice time thought?

Pilgrim said...

will: do you believe in the "think system"?

elizabeth: I have found the perfect instrument for you. Behold: The strumstick! www.strumstick.com, "No wrong notes", "automatic chords"

Elizabeth said...

yes! that is TOTALLY what i need!!! too bad i don't have 170 dollars...it even has all the songs with words on the site. hmmm...